Thursday, September 24, 2009

turning twenty

Last night I sat at the dining room table trying to finish an article for the DO, while my roommates had the usual “to go out, or not to go out,” debate. Suddenly I realised (British spelling) that midnight would mean my birthday. That settled it. Less than an hour later my article was done, we were dressed up, drinks had been poured, and we were on our way to one of the bars we frequent most, the Walk About. The Walk About was recommended to us by a friend of a friend who spent a few weeks in London and said we had to go and get a snake bite. Obviously, we were intrigued. It’s an Australian chain bar with a really fun, chill, American-music-playing dance floor.

I enjoyed free drinks and good company as I embraced the milestone all college students must go through, the ending of my teen years and entry into my twenties. At midnight, my roommates and some friends in the SU program sang happy birthday and the DJ announced it over the speakers before playing Bruce Springsteen for me. I was now officially Born in the U.S.A. twenty years ago, and life in my 20’s, so far, is pretty good. One more day of classes in London before it’s off to Paris to celebrate. Cheers!