Friday, September 4, 2009

planes, trains, and automobiles

Deciding to go to London was easy. Getting here was not. Apart from all the preliminary things, like getting my passport and visa and tickets, there was the basic issue of getting to the airport. We drove to the bus station, I took a bus from Albany to New York, had to walk (with all my luggage!!) to a different station, wait, take a bus to Newark- only to find out that it wasn't going to the airport, just Newark. From there I walked around for awhile (still carrying the luggage) until I realized where I was, got a cab, made it to the airport, and waited over four hours to get on the plane. My arms ached halfway through the day. The flight was long and the crowded seats made it hard for me to sleep, so as excited as I was to get here, I nodded off a bit on the bus ride to the hotel- missing my first sights of London. Luckily, my first few British hours aren't characteristic of the trip. After a nap and shower, we were having an orientation dinner and discovering the pubs. Cheers!