Tuesday, September 22, 2009

distance is nothing

Today has not been my best day. Despite the fact that I am in an amazing country and taking great classes, I just felt crummy for no real good reason. A bit of homesickness, writer's block, and the fear that I won't have everything ready for graduation in the Spring just freaked me out. I tried to soak in some London culture today during a break in classes, but wound up just roaming the streets, feeling lost. After two hours of walking around, I didn't feel like I saw or learned anything new. I started to wonder what I am supposed to do now. I've already seen all the tourist sites, I've already visited all the recommended areas. All my best friends are at home, and now I am walking around a foreign city in a foreign country feeling alone. Worst of all, I felt guilty for even thinking these thoughts when I know I am so fortunate to be able to come abroad.

But then I got a message from a friend, and I thought of what my day would be like if I felt this stressed at home or at SU. I thought of what she would say to me, and how she'd give me a hug and make me feel better. And then I thought of what everyone else that I care about would do or say to cure my bout of grumpiness, and somehow, even though none of them are here, and I can't call anyone, and I didn't talk to anyone from the U.S., it still made things better. So thanks to all those people. Thank you for being such amazing friends while I was with you that even when I'm not, you still cheer me up.