Friday, September 18, 2009

i get college credit for this?

This semester I am taking five classes, one of which is a 500 level interpretation of British film course.  Since I don't know anything about film, I thought it would be interesting and that we would talk about different ways of making films or marketing them, and perhaps watch a few clips. 

Turns out we watch a lot of clips. Say, an entire movie each class. The class is three hours long, so by the time the film is done playing, we have a short while to discuss a few aspects of it and then class is over. How easy is that? And it gets better. As part of our class, we take field trips to various cinemas throughout central London to see recent British films, on the school's tab. My professor even told us to keep the receipts for any popcorn or concessions we bought, and she will try and get us reimbursed. 

Yesterday we went to Odeon Cinema in Leicester Square to see Dorian Gray. The film itself was not enjoyable for me because it was pretty dark, a little graphic, and too scary for my liking. I guess I just prefer rom-com's. The cinema was amazing though. I think just it's sheer size was what made it so great- the building itself was enormous with huge glass windows, and the movie's screen was probably four times the size of a typical U.S. theatre screen. I wish I knew how many people the theatre we were in sits, because it was so big it looked like an opera house. With mounted sculptures on the wall and a huge stage in front of the film's screen, this place could easily be used for plays. Our next cinema excursion is in a couple weeks, but this theatre and this class are both things I highly recommend.