Saturday, September 5, 2009

little things

Homesickness comes in waves. Every once in awhile I suddenly realize that I can't go home for months. At school, going home is always an option. I'm so used to calling home when I'm walking somewhere around campus or on my way to grab coffee, but I can't just check-in quick here. When conversations with loved ones are so few and far between, the smaller details often get left out and the trivial parts of one another's lives become tiny mysteries, not detrimental to a relationship but adding up to make a kind of space that didn't used to be there. E-mails and Skype calls stick to the basics: what did you do? are you okay? is everyone healthy? So now I know my sister starts a new year at work, but I can't help her decide what to wear. My friends say everything in Syracuse is the same, but I don't know if they ordered cookies at 2am or who they're looking up on Facebook. 

I've had to get around 20 new room keys at my hotel because I keep putting it by my phone and deactivating it, I have four blisters, and last night I ordered sausage pizza at 3am and it was one of the best pizzas I ever had- although we got a super large and it was only 8 tiny slices. I won't remember to tell you those kind of things when we talk again, but it makes me feel less separated to have you know now.