Friday, September 25, 2009

my favorite london sunday

This article was published in the Daily Orange on September 24th.

If I could only have one day in London, I’d make it last Sunday. I woke up early to go to the Brick Lane and East End markets with a school tour. Both these markets are only open Sundays from 8 a.m. until 2 p.m., but it’s worth getting up early for, even after a rough Saturday night. Arriving at the start of the day will offer you the biggest selection, but vendors are more likely to lower prices just before closing. While Notting Hill and the Portobella Markets offer a more famous, posh view of London, the East End will give you something not normally seen by tourists, and it’s less crowded so you can move slowly, taking it all in.

Just a few blocks from the Liverpool tube station, in a back alleyway you wouldn’t know is there, a fairytale flower market was set up. The roads were closed and the streets were filled with fresh orchids and bright sunflowers. Families and couples walked hand-in-hand admiring all the vendors had to offer, while the sun warmed the crisp, cool air. The streets were lined with tiny antique shops and cute little bakeries. I stopped in one store and was greeted by an elegant French woman who sells vintage Chanel and one-of-a-kind jewelry. I wanted to buy everything.

After a quick two hours, I walked over to Brick Lane, which sells clothing, shoes and accessories, both new and used. This part of town is a little bit funkier than most of London and the sound of punk rock music spills out of dimly lit pubs, while teenage girls in bright red lipstick search for something no one else will have. Wandering around this area surrounded by friendly people made me forget I am a tourist.

That night, after putting away all my treasures, I took the tube to the annual Mayor of London’s Thames Festival, on the banks of the Thames River. The area was filled with fair-like vendors offering everything from curry to crepes to artwork. A live band played songs I’ve never heard, and it seemed like everyone in London had come out for the event. The view was absolutely magical with the London Eye and Big Ben lit up in the night sky. In a city as big as London, I expected to feel kind of alone here, but on that Sunday, without any planning, so many of the SU London group met up while walking around. Maybe back at school we wouldn’t hang out, but here in London what Greek house you’re in or major you are doesn’t really matter. We all stood on the Westminster Bridge together, waiting for the fireworks to start. As the display sparked over the river, I thought about how happy I was, being in this city and seeing so many special things all in one day. I don’t know if I’ll ever make it to this once-a-year festival again, or if I’ll be able to find my way back to my favorite French vendor, but I do know that day convinced me that coming to London was the right choice.