Tuesday, October 6, 2009

the france fifteen

One of the most amazing parts about Paris was the food. Everything I ate in the five days I was there tasted like heaven and with each new bite I found myself saying, "This is the best thing yet!" The stereotype of French people roaming the streets with baguettes is a stereotype because it's true. On every street and at any hour of the day people walk around munching on the freshest, most delicious little loafs of bread. Every street we walked on had at least one perfect bakery with glass windows filled of handmade treats. My favorite foods, though it's hard to pick, were the chocolate eclairs, tartes aux pommes (apple tarts), croissants, and pain aux chocolatte (croissant with chocolate stuffed inside). I also had a petit tartine, which is like a baby cheesy, saucy pizza on a freshly made baguette.

Most of the time we ate at small, delicious bakeries and roadside shops, but we did have a few sit down meals. I thoroughly enjoyed french breakfast both times I had it. The first time, I had fresh orange juice, coffee, and an omelette at a small, outdoor cafe. The second time, I relaxed while waiting for the Eurostar in the train station and had fresh juice, tea, a croissant, and a baguette. Both meals appear to be typical for French breakfasts.

At our one sit down dinner, I had french onion soup (which was hands down the best soup I have ever had), fresh salmon, and chocolatte mousse. It was delicious- and less than 25 euros!

We stopped in for a sit-down lunch a few times, but I found it to be mediocre food and overpriced. I would recommend just eating at small, privately owned bakeries instead because I thought the people there were friendlier and the food was inexpensive and irresistable.

For the entire extended weekend there, my roommates and I let our food inhabitions go, threw any ideas of diets down the drain, and let our taste buds go nuts. I didn't buy anyone gifts in France because the best gift the country had to offer was its food, and I knew it wouldn't make the journey back to the US. Back here in London, I'm back to normal eating habits. I miss the food, but for my health's sake, I'm glad I didn't choose to study abroad in France!!