Tuesday, October 6, 2009

saturday in london

After a fun-filled but tiring weekend to Paris, we decided to stay in London for this weekend. Most of my time was spent catching up on sleep and homework, but I did get to do some sightseeing. Saturday I saw the Kensington Gardens and Kensington Palace, which were both lovely. The gardens were filled with families, children and dogs, and it was nice to walk around and people watch. Kensington Palace is open for tours and has on display Princess Diana's gowns and exhibits on the debutant balls and their history in Britain. Seeing all the beautiful clothing was so fun, and the tour was filled with little information about all the balls that used to go on at the palace (like how big the cakes were, how the clothes were made, and what proper etiquette at balls is).

Later on, we went to Harrods and saw all the posh displays of expensive clothing. Everything was so luxurious- even a simple headband was nearly $100! The shoes there were amazing, and all just open on display. We picked up one high heel and saw it cost nearly three grand, just laying out on the table! You'd think they would keep something so pricey under a glass case. I couldn't stay too long in Harrods, because in my blue jeans and cowboy boots I felt horribly out of place and my life savings wouldn't be enough to buy me a new outfit there. Still, seeing the store was a lot of fun.

At night we had a relaxing dinner out, a nice change of pace from cooking dinner every night, before meeting some friends out for drinks. It's really nice to have so many options for how to spend a Saturday. I think if I was at SU, I would have just gone to the football game, done some homework, and go to a house party with friends. I enjoy doing those things, and I miss them a little, but I really appreciate all the options London offers.