Tuesday, October 13, 2009

upcoming visitors

My parents are coming to visit in less than a week! Their flight comes in Monday morning, and I think the only people more excited about this than me right now, are them. For the past couple of days while I wait for the tube or start to daydream in class, all I can think about is what we will do. I've been planning what sites I want to show them and when we'll go to all my favorite places. I've been thinking about how to tell them to navigate around the city and debating which things we should do together and what they should do while I'm in class. I know they're doing the same things, obsessing over packing and what time their flights are. When I asked them what they wanted to see most, they wrote back Courtney. I think the same thing about them.

It's been less than two months since I've seen them last, and I'm not sure if that's the longest stretch of time or not. Going to college less than two hours from home means I see my family pretty often, a luxery I've been grateful to have. Regardless of whether this is the longest we've been apart or not, I think the time stretch feels bigger than it is because there hasn't been an opportunity for me to see them. At school, if I go a month or two without traveling home, that's my decision. But here in London, I've wished a million times to be back in mom's kitchen or walking over to see dad at the farm. I can't wait for them to come see everything London has to offer, and to spend some time with them again. I'm counting down the days (and rushing to finish midterm work before they arrive)!