Wednesday, November 4, 2009

hallowhat

The roommates and I returned to London (from Spain) Friday night. Saturday was Halloween- the college student's dream holiday. Knowing we'd have to take the tube, we all dressed in modest costumes. I expected to find a crazy, NYC-style affair.

As we jumped on the tube, I quickly realized no one else had costumes on. A group of just-passed-middle-aged women were sitting in front of me, noticeably and rightfully staring.

"Oh, now don't you feel silly?" one woman said. "Yes, actually I feel very silly. Uh, you err don't celebrate halloween then, do you?" I replied. "Well, no not quite," she said. "Right, uh, it's pretty big in the states. Huge actually," I muttered. "Is that so?... Interesting. Well, was your party fun?" she asked. "Uh, I uh, actually haven't gone to a party yet. I just left my flat." 

This whole conversation was getting to be too much. I decided I needed to move to a less-crowded part of the train and escape this embarrassment. Problem was, I was still wearing a costume and all my hopes of entering a costume-clad bar came crashing down when I realized the club was equally Halloween-deprived. I stuck it out anyways, rocking my hippie peace sign all night. I guess my last college Halloween was uneventful. Good thing the first two were enough on their own...