Sunday, November 8, 2009

covent garden

I must have passed by the general area of Covent Garden hundreds of times since my arrival in London. I've seen plays on the outskirts of it, gone to pubs and small clubs to the sides of it, but before Sunday I have never actually gone in it. In the words of Julia Roberts (Pretty Woman)... "big mistake. Huge! HUGE!"

Covent Garden is a cozy little cobblestone square filled with delicious eateries, an open market, and tons of great shops. The area is a nice mix of posh and affordability, with bargain stores like H&M mixed with higher-end shops like Next and Guess. There are singers, musicians, and comedians in every little area of the square, each surrounded by a tiny crowd. My friends and I went for a late lunch and sat outside, enjoying all the different street performers. Later we did some shopping, wandered around the crafts, and sipped tea through the crisp, cool day.  Families and little children walked by, along with teenager shoppers and couples. A giant green reindeer lit up the square's front, and Christmas cheer filled the afternoon (I even did some holiday shopping!)