Sunday, February 7, 2010

not everyone's rushing to rush

Tonight in Schine student center kicks off the Pan-Hellenic Society’s 2010 recruitment season, and pretty soon it’s going to seem like every girl on campus is in a house. Current sisters will be wearing their Greek insignia on the daily. This weekend and next will see record numbers of young women flocking to Walnut and Comstock in a sea of polished locks and perfectly accessorized outfits. As a senior, I’ve seen this all before. Tonight starts a strategic game of smiles, bumping into conversation, of “less eyeliner, more mascara,” and faking friendships until they turn real. It’s an annual event, and a reminder of what I’ve chosen not to be a part of.

It might sound like I’m just another sorority-hater, but freshman year I had never felt so left out. With every girl on campus showing their sorority involvement more than ever, I felt like I was the only one who didn’t rush. I called home to tell my mother I regretted not joining in, and I planned to pledge sophomore year. Sophomore year came and went and I rationalized that rushing wasn’t worth the commitment if I was going to spend a semester abroad and graduate early. Still, with Greek life thrust into the spotlight, I have wondered if I’m missing out by not rushing. Sororities have organized social events and, as my post-graduate unemployment looms in front of me, I’m sure I’d appreciate a network of sisters spread across the nation.

Maria Angelov, a junior policy studies and political science student, said she remembers hearing so many of her classmates talking about rush and feeling like everyone on campus was taking part in Greek life, except for her.  But not everyone has felt the same way. “Maybe from time to time I think it would be fun to go through and see what it’s like, but I’ve never really thought I wanted to rush,” said junior Brittany McLaren. “I know it’s not for me,” she said.

As much as I’ve always known I didn’t fit into sorority life, rush week has still always been a hard time to be GDI. But even though for these next two weeks Greek life might seem bigger than ever, sororities and fraternities only comprise of 20 percent of Syracuse University’s student body, according to the student life Web site. For those of you readers who know rush isn’t for you, here’s a reminder that you’re not alone. I’ve loved my time here at SU and I can’t imagine what it’s going to be like to leave the friends I’ve made here. It might have taken me a few years to realize, but I know that even though I’m not in a house, I’ve still made a home.

See this on The Daily Orange's web site http://bit.ly/bY3rnr