Saturday, February 13, 2010

haiti—tragedy, single—not tragedy

Crank up Beyonce—it’s the fourteenth again.

Yesterday in Hendricks Chapel, I overheard two girls discussing weekend plans. The one revealed this would be her first single Valentine’s Day in three years. She planned to hibernate with excessive amounts of chocolate to cope. Before you start debating if the cashier at CVS is going to know you’re buying the Russell Stover candies for yourself, stop overreacting about being alone this holiday.

With all the hand-holding, gift-buying outrageous public displays of affection, it may feel like you’re the only single lady (or man) on Valentine’s Day; but trust me, you’re not. Whether you savor your single status or are less than tickled pink, there’s no reason to feel left out this holiday. According to the US Census Bureau, there are 95.7 million single Americans. They might not be at the evening showing of Valentine’s Day in Carousel Mall this weekend, but they’re out there.

Back in the days of Ashlee Simpson and the Ying Yang Twins, my first real boyfriend asked me out at the school’s Valentine’s Day dance. He had roses and I wore pink. It was precious, or nauseating, label as you see fit. For the next few years, I had perfect Valentine’s Days, complete with candlelit dinners, cards, flowers, candy… the works. I pitied those poor single people left alone with their Necco hearts.

And then, I was one of them. Freshmen year, I thought my first real single Valentine’s Day was going to be the worst I’ve ever had. That chilly, Thursday night, I danced around in the dorm before embarking on a sledding expedition on the hill behind Sadler Hall (without a coat or a real sled). I woke up the next morning with a cold, no phone, and a killer headache. It was the best Valentine’s Day I’ve ever had. I loved every minute of that time with my friends and it’s one of my favorite memories of college. Hangovers will pass, puke can be cleaned, and you know you wanted a cell phone upgrade anyway. I’ve had my Valentine’s Days in and out of relationships, and in my opinion, single makes a much better story.

As long as you’re upbeat about your weekend, I’m sure you can find ways to enjoy V-Day even with your single Facebook status. An article in Cosmopolitan called, “Fun Ways to Celebrate Yourself on Valentine’s Day” suggested going out to a fancy restaurant for dessert… by yourself. Before you start making reservations in Armory Square, let’s think this through. Not only would you be stuffing your face alone surrounded by dozens of happy couples, you’ll also probably have to wait two hours to get your table, and at the end of the whole embarrassing ordeal, you’re going to be the one to pick up the tab! I don’t think I can imagine a worse way to spend my Saturday night.

Instead of taking part in ridiculous activities like this or wallowing in misery alone in your dorm room, go to the bar. Not only are you likely to have fun with your friends, but also you’ll know that every person you meet is available, too. Being single on Valentine’s Day might just be the best way to find yourself a bad romance, if only for the night.

Disagree?  http://bit.ly/c0EKXz