Sunday, February 7, 2010

no more fish and chips?

This dining hall review was my first opinion column in The Daily Orange back on campus. 

The dining center at Ernie Davis, which opened Saturday, is now the newest and largest dining center on campus; but it’s still just a dining center. It might have more food options than Sadler or Brockway, but the food remains mostly mediocre. If you have not yet experienced it’s twisting maze of hot food, salad bars, and stir-fry lines, just picture any other dining center on campus you’ve ever been to and the idea is the same.

Ernie Davis dining center’s location is convenient for students living in Booth, Dellplain, Haven, Watson or on Comstock and the proximity to many classroom buildings is especially appreciated during the cold winter months, but I don’t think it’s worth the trek if you have a closer dining center.

Melissa Weston, a sophomore public relations and political science dual major said, “I was expecting the food to be better or different, but it’s all just the same.” Ernie Davis boasts a seating capacity of 500 people, but at rush hour dinnertime it’s still impossible to find a clean empty seat. With Shaw closing earlier and Haven no longer open, the extra space Ernie Davis offers gets eaten up quickly by hungry students. Though well staffed, the center still runs out of trays, forks and food, just like any other dining hall.

I visited Ernie after class Tuesday night and found the new hall cramped with people. I kept losing my friend, even though he’s 6’6’’ and normally pretty hard to miss in a crowd. For 10 minutes I wandered around the buffet labyrinth hoping to find something especially appetizing, but was disappointed to find the same slop I ate all freshman year. The new neon green booths looked comfortable, but they were all filled. I wound up teetering on a flimsy orange stool that looked like it might break if I ate one more of my mystery Chinese chicken nuggets. I’m sure the food at Ernie Davis’s salad bar, wrap station, Edy’s ice cream machine or cereal dispensers taste just great, but the Thanksgiving stuffing still closely resembles vomit.

Overall, I think Ernie Davis dining center is a good addition to campus, giving students a new option that is, for many, closer than any other dining center. Its ability to house so many students is a major plus at such a large school, and the additional staff seems to be working hard to keep the center clean. I’m sure it will look nice when renovations and decorations are completed. Still, expectations of a gourmet meal in a cozy, relaxed environment are unrealistic. I didn’t hate my dinner at Ernie and there’s a chance I will stop in again, but I’m glad I don’t have a meal plan.

Read student feedback online at http://bit.ly/4BBJcK