Wednesday, August 19, 2009

family togetherness

My family is one of the rare kinds that actually really all likes each other. Everyone says, "love you," when we talk on the phone, we still eat family meals together, and not a day goes by that I don't at least call a family member. So the thought of me moving to a different country for several months is a shock to the system for us all. Add to this shock the fact that I chose not to live at home this summer, and I'm surprised my Dad hasn't suffered cardiac arrest.

That being said, my family decided to plan bonding activities during the two week stretch of time I'm home this summer. Last night's activity (my idea!) was a picnic dinner and outdoor concert tickets at the lovely Saratoga Performing Arts Center- one of my favorite places in New York. Sure maybe the Allman Brothers Band with the Doobie Brothers doesn't draw the most family-friendly crowd, but it's something we all enjoy.  Or it would have been, if it didn't downpour rain.


Just as the Doobie Brothers started warming up the crowd, the sky opened up and the blackest clouds I've ever seen dropped buckets of rain on our umbrella-less, raincoat-less, uncovered group. We wound up using my Grandmother's homemade quilt (previously our picnic blanket) as a tent (see above: dad, sister, and my legs). People were sliding through the mud and more than one mud wrestling fight broke out. Even though we left early, the memory of it- just like the mud stain in Grandma's quilt- is one we won't be getting rid of for awhile.